Directions0/0 steps made
- First rinse, peel and then grate the carrots (8-9 medium sized tender juicy carrots), either with a hand held grater or in a food processor.
- You need approx. 4 to 4.5 cups grated carrots.
- In a kadai or deep thick bottomed pan combine milk and grated carrots.
- On a low to medium flame, bring the whole mixture to a boil and then simmer.
- While the mixture is simmering on a low flame, keep on stirring in between, the grated carrots will cook in the milk and the milk will start to reduce and evaporate.
- When the milk has 75% reduced, add the ghee, sugar and powdered cardamom to the mixture.
- Stir well and continue to simmer and cook on a low flame and do keep on stirring the gajar halwa in between.
- Towards the end, add the cashews, crushed saffron and raisins and simmer carrot halwa till all the milk is evaporated. switch off the burner.
- Serve gajar halwa hot, warm or you can also serve it cold.